Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pяoвαмα, Duн!


Tuesday, January 20, 2008 was the swearing in of the 44th American president, Barack Obama. This momentous occasion will be a huge media event not only because he is the new leader of the free world in a time of war and financial crisis, but also because he is the first black president of a country that was founded on the blacks of slaves taken from Africa. In a nation founded on the oppression of blacks, the inauguration of Barack Obama is truly a historical moment of great importance.

Overall I feel like he’s THE MAN but I’m a little worried for him, because he’s becoming president at the worst possible time. Issues such as economy/financial CRISIS, national debt, tax cuts, the mortgage crisis, Afghanistan/Iraqi War, health care issue, and the flailing auto industry are a very big concern to people all around the world. So I want to see how he copes with all this and how he handles the stress.

Obama made it clear from the first days as a candidate that he was someone running for president who happened to be black, not a black man running for president. I really like this quote because it shows that the color of your skin doesn’t matter but that everyone can make a change. In his speech he acknowledges how far African Americans have come when he says, “This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed -- why men and women and children of every race and every faith can join in celebration across this magnificent mall, and why a man whose father less than sixty years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath.”

Highlight of Obama Speech for me: When he says, “A man whose father less than sixty years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath” I thought his speech was very inspirational and moving, but these were the words that really sealed the deal for me.

I don’t follow politics ever, frankly I find them maad boring, but this was an election that I couldn’t get my eyes off of.

- Snap, Crackle & Pop

1 comment:

Alphie said...

America is definitely in for change. From what I've heard, i feel like Obama is the perfect person to help America. He has that sense of confidence and leadership that Bush never really had.

- Alphie